Monday 29 December 2008

Friday 26 December 2008

the crash of software
deafens me to the outside
and this small event

Boxing Day. No one is really sure why it is called Boxing Day, although these days it may be related to parcelling things up so they can go back to Argos. Such is life.
Our computer is playing up, which is depressing me no end, since any software-related problem seems to worry me far more than physical ailments, such is the reliance we now place on this demonic technology. Over the last twenty-odd years we have made a Faustian pact with Information technology that cannot now be broken. I see this as a good thing, although it does concern me that I am affected emotionally by a potential lack of access to all my useful and delightful computer programmes. If one of those EMP bombs exploded over my house and scrambled everything, I think I’d be inclined to start strangling the neighbours. I’ve noticed that in dramas, when this sort of thing happens, people always fall to their knees, clench their fists, look up at the sky and shout ‘NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!’ although I’m pretty sure that no one has actually done this in real life.
Drama cliches, readers! Let’s be rid of them!

1 comment:

Southern Muse said...

Hmmmmm. Perhaps. I guess I haven't literally shouted 'Noooooooo' to the sky, but I'm pretty sure I have clutched my throat, pounded my forehead, torn my hair, blasphemed, and banged my head against the computer screen...