Thursday 4 December 2008

Sunday 30 November 2008

Maybe I’m being too harsh to Britney Spears. Rationally speaking, if we didn’t have all this bad music about we’d have nothing to judge the good music against.
I spent the afternoon burning CDs onto my mp3 player, which, like most technologies which have entered into my life, I have become dependent upon. I already have begun to think of wikipedia as an extension of my brain.
So, what is on my mp3 player? I have to say that about 30% of it is classical, the majority of which is Bach, and a lot of that is violin or cello concertos. There’s also some Vivaldi, Gorecki, Schubert, and some strange German stuff based on the work of Rammstein.
Also, I have some original Rammstein, which is great for blowing the cobwebs away at nine in the morning. There’s some David Bowie, David Byrne, Echo and The Bunnymen, Siouxsie Sioux and Roxy Music to ease my nostalgia for the days when dinosaur music ruled the Earth. Then there’s Nile. I discovered Nile from a t-shirt someone was wearing at a Roger Waters concert which read ‘The Slaughterers of Apep’. I think it was Apep. At the time I thought it was some kind of international Oil consortium, but it turns out to be a character from Egyptian mythology. Nile are like Rammstein-lite. Although they sing in English rather than German, it makes little difference, since the singer sounds like Xerxes from ‘300’ and is therefore completely unintelligible. I have read the lyrics, and to be honest, I’m not missing much. They sound good though. Lots of pomp and camp orchestral drama, fused with pounding guitars.
There’s also some ‘Yes’ and ‘Tangerine Dream’ to feed my hippy philosophical side, and two albums of Gary Numan cover versions.
I’ll have to get back to you on the rest, as my access to my wikipedia interface has been temporarily lost.

No comments: