Monday 30 April 2007

Friday 27 April 2007

he did the mash did
bobby boris pickett and
not with sausages.

RIP Bobby Boris Pickett, died 25 April 2007

The Ugly One and I were invited over to our friend Robert’s house for dinner in Shepherds Bush.
The journey was a bit of a nightmare as it involved two bus rides. Both buses seemed full of lunatics, added to which we had left our phones at home and were both a bit hazy about where Robert actually lived, since we hadn’t been there for some time.
I felt we must have been going in the right direction when we passed a building, over the door of which was the inscription ‘And The Holy Ghost Shall Come Upon Thee’.
The dinner was lovely but I made the mistake of drinking champagne and following my dessert headed for the toilet where I was violently sick.
Some time afterwards (this was after the very long discussion of the merits or otherwise of ‘Deep Space Nine’) I must have passed out, as the next thing I recall is waking up with the UO, crammed into Robert’s single bed. Robert, bless him, was fast asleep on the sofa.
I am always bemused by Robert’s bookshelf, as I suspect he has a habit of grabbing books with a nice-looking spine in charity shops and just lining them up on the shelf.
I found a disturbing volume of Christian affirmative poetry, and a copy of ‘Waiting For Godot’ some of which I read while sitting on the toilet and waiting for everyone else to wake up. I felt at that moment that I suddenly understood Beckett and his analysis of the bleakness of the human condition, particularly as I had just noticed how much toilet paper was left on the roll.
There was also a copy of ‘How To Be a Happy Homosexual’, which I know for a fact has been on that shelf for at least twenty-five years. He really ought to chuck it out as if it hasn’t worked yet, it’s not going to now.

No comments: