Thursday 19 June 2008

Monday 16 June 2008

managers are a
species of parasite. they’re
common but not bright.

I have realised, over the past few days, that I have been waking up with a song in my head. Yesterday it was The Smiths singing that song about the record company meeting and the dead star.
This morning it was ‘I Get a Kick Out Of You’ by Cole Porter and, indeed, dozens of other people. I seem to remember a version getting into the charts in the mid-seventies during that odd post-modern period where all sorts of period styles and songs were turning up in the charts.
It’s a partly-forgotten phenomenon, but there was a brief fad for the tango in the early seventies. Mud, who will be forever remembered for their single ‘Tiger Feet’ at least by those of us who were there, made their name with two tango-based pop numbers, one of which was called ‘Crazy’. Then, one of the presenters of Magpie, Mick Robertson, who had a curly mop and bore a striking resemblance to Brian May, brought out a single called ‘The Tango’s Over’ with a spirited Latin backing contrasted by a rather dreary vocal.
Why am I writing all this down? I have no idea.

No comments: